The Game Awards 2016 went down last night and to no ones surprise we had a few announcements and gameplay trailers. Now before we get into that lets take a look at the winners:
- Game of the Year: Overwatch (Blizzard)
- Best Game Direction: Blizzard (For Overwatch)
- Best Narrative: Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (Naughty Dog)
- Best Art Direction: Inside (Playdead)
- Best Music/Sound Design: DOOM (Bethesda)
- Best Performance: Nolan North as
the Ghost in DestinyNathan Drake, Uncharted 4
- Games For Impact: That Dragon, Cancer (Numinous Games)
- Best Indy: Inside (Playdead)
- Best Mobile: Pokemon GO (Niantic)
- Best VR Game: Rez Infinite (Enhance Games)
- Best Action Game: DOOM (Bethesda)
- Best Action Adventure: Dishonored 2 (Arkane)
- Best RPG: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (LOL rekt) (CD Projekt RED)
- Best Fighting Game: Street Fighter V (Capcom)
- Best Strategy Game: Civ 6 (2k)
- Best Family Game: Pokemon GO (Niantic)
- Best Sport Game: Forza 6
- Best Multiplayer Game: Overwatch
- Most Anticipated Game: Zelda Breath of the Wild
Quick notes about some of these winners. Most of them I’m not surprised about, Overwatch, Pokemon Go, Uncharted, DOOM, and Inside. A lot of these games came out in Q2 2016 so it’s odd when you don’t see Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, Gears ect really making the cut. All in all, congrats to all the winners! My one puzzling winner would be The Witcher 3, love those guys but I would have liked to see a winner from a game that came out this year (sorry, I know, picky).
Now lets get on to the H Y P E TRAIN
Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy, A Telltale Series:
After Telltale’s triumphant return to form with Batman: A Telltale Series, it’s good to see them make their next leap into comics but with a bit of a different twist going for Guardians of the Galaxy over lets say Iron Man or Superman.
Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment:
For those who played Shovel Knight there should be endless hype behind this 2D platformer, action type game. Shovel Knight has the look of an 8Bit classic game and Specter of Torment looks no different. Watching this trailer made me smile the whole way through. Nothing better than an ode to the simpler times.
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Gameplay)
I really don’t have much to say on this one, I’ve been full speed on this hype train since E3 2014 and am not ready to get off till it releases. Anything Breath of the Wild related is sure to cause massive amounts of hype so that’s why it’s on here, however I felt it to be useless. We saw countless hours of it at E3 this year and I think by now people just want the damn game. Either way….choo choo.
Mass Effect: Andromeda (Gameplay):
The hype levels for Andromeda are astronomical at this point (no pun intended). Mass Effect as a whole *cough cough ME3’s ending* is a well beloved franchise and people have been craving for it’s return for a while now. This is the FIRST LOOK we have at gameplay and man, does this shit look AWESOME! Hype is at about a 9 for it’s release, that is, till it gets pushed back to Fall 2017. RIP
What is hype if not Hideo Kojima? No one has a DAMN clue what this game is or isn’t about. All we know is it’s Kojima’s first project post Metal Gear and Konami and I cannot wait to see some gameplay. Problem with this game is it probably won’t release till 2018 at the absolute earliest. Hopefully we don’t get too tired of the trailers and such because you know Sony is going to run this one into the ground each presser.
With Mass Effect and Zelda slated for 2017, 2017 is looking like a top quality year for games, especially RPG’s! Cheers to Geoff Keighley on putting on a fantastic show. Till next year